Fire Damage Prevention Tips
Not only can fire damages be very costly, but they can be scary and take the longest to repair and rebuild. We recommend following the tips below to help avoid a fire damage in your home:
- Keep the stove and oven clear of debris, towels, and cookbooks. The most common fires start in the kitchen.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking. Don't leave hot cooking surfaces unattended.
- Empty the lint filter in the dryer every load. Also don't forget to clean out the external dryer vents once a year.
- Maintain electrical cords, checking for frayed or corroded wires. Use extension cords for a temporary fix and switch to a surge protector as soon as possible.
- Don't leave burning candles unattended. Make sure they are a safe distance from any flammable items such as blankets or curtains.
- Shut your doors when you are not home or are sleeping. Fire spreads quickly when there are no barriers.
- Give your fireplace ashes enough time to cool down. We've had several customers who had a house fire due to throwing their warm fireplace ashes into the trash can.