Returning After A Storm - The First Steps
Living in San Diego we generally have mild weather throughout the year. However, like in recent winters, we get storms that cause flooding and water damage. We've put together a list of action steps to take when returning to your commercial or residential building after local authorities have indicated it is safe.
- Notify your insurance agent to determine insurance policy guidelines and steps to take.
- Wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing while entering and dealing with flooded areas.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical hazards may exist.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Move large furniture away from walls, wipe excess water from wood furniture, and place foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not leave rugs or colored items on the floor as they can cause staining.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans if the ceiling is wet or sagging.
- Throw away all food that has come into contact with flood water, even if it is canned.
While waiting for SERVPRO to arrive we recommend following these steps to avoid further damage.