Recent Water Damage Posts
Why SERVPRO for Mold Remediation
If you see visible mold, do not attempt to clean it yourself. If you disturb the mold, the spores can become airborne and spread throughout your home, causing more damage.
What to Do:
- Contain the affected area such as by shutting a door, and stay out of the area.
- Turn off fans and the HVAC system
- Contact SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley/University City for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Do not touch or disturb the mold.
- Do not attempt to dry and blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Do not attempt to clean the area and spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
If you see mold, call us today!
Our technicians are trained and experienced in mold restoration projects. Call us at (858)527-1144 today to get an estimate.
Water Damage Can Be Costly
The key to avoiding a costly restoration is to eliminate water issues before they become a big problem. A simple fix, such as replacing a toilet supply line that is old and rusty, that goes unattended may progress and lead to a large restoration project.
SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley/University City has the training, experience and equipment necessary to properly handle any water situation. If water issues go on for too long, secondary damages can become a problem if mold has begun to grow. Many insurance policies don't include long term damage so make sure to have any odors or small leaks inspected and handled right away.
Here are a couple tips below to help avoid water damage in your home:
- Check roof for signs of damage/wear
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear of debris
- Upgrade washing machine hoses
- Check appliances such as dishwasher drains, ice maker lines, and water heater hoses
Faster to your San Diego Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO Sorrento Valley provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 at 858-527-1144
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley
SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
Best Ways to Avoid Water Damage
Keep gutters clean, cleaning gutters biannually avoids blockages. Blockages in gutters can cause overflow. Overflow can create standing water and damage the homes foundation. Make sure to keep downspouts clean, secure, and pointed away from home.
Keep an eye out for vegetation that is close to utility pipes. Vegetation, while a great addition to making a property more pleasing to look at, can cause problems for pipes as roots can wrap and break pipes.
Know the location of the water main at your property if any issue arise it can be quickly turned off. If leaving for an extended amount of time, make sure to shut off the water main.
If experiencing a leak, make sure to investigate and try to fix as fast as possible. There is a certain risk if a leak is left unchecked. The main issue for leaks that occur over an extended amount of time is mold and mildew.
Maintain washing machine hoses as they can become old and brittle which can cause leaks.
Install water detection devices near water heaters, washing machines, dishwashers, toilets, under sinks, basically anywhere water can be flowing in the house.
Make sure water pressure coming to your housing isn’t too high. Residential systems water pressure systems are designed to handle from 40 to 70 psi. If water pressure exceeds 70psi it is recommended to install a pressure regulator to lower water pressure.
Monitor water bill, if your water usage becomes abnormally high without water usage change, then you might be experiencing a leak and further investigation is needed to find the issue.
Water Removal and Property Drying Importance
The most common form of water damage that occurs in Southern California is usually not from natural disasters. The usual culprit of almost all water damages in Southern California are plumbing issues. Just because water damage isn't caused by a significant natural disaster doesn't mean that your property will be any less affected by improper handling of a wet floors, walls, and etc. Timing is everything for mold not to grow, so please don't hesitate to give us a call at any sign of potential water damage.
SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley is filled with professional and courteous staff that will tackle the problem from a multi step approach. If there is any stagnant water it will be pumped out. If the walls and carpet or floors are saturated with water they will be removed. Then the team places equipment to dry out the structure of the building.
The equipment used are usually dehumidifiers and fans. The dehumidifiers are industrial grade, not the same as the ones found on fancy cigar boxes. The fan are also industrial grade, the fans produce so much air flow they can probably power a light aircraft.
We here at SERVPRO of Sorrento Valley are available 24/7 and eager to help make your problem "Like it never even happened."